Lat: 45 13.59′ S
Long: 174 52.67′ W
Inst Speed: 20.6
Wind Dir: 220
Wind Speed: 22.0000
Distance last 24hr: 361.7893865804913734
Distance to finish: 13038.4
Loik helms with the great expanse of the Pacific Ocean ahead of us

Email from the boat to shore: 

From: OmanTri
To: update
Subject: how to distinguish between the days
Date: 05/02/2009 02:19:02

For the best part of the next two weeks it’s going to be difficult to tell
one day between the next – and that’s going to make update writing very
tricky, even the last two days have merged into a blured series of
routines,on watch/off watch, with the physical distinction between the days
( the hours of darkness) moved there is nothing more that our own onboard
routine ( and GPS Clock set to GMT) to indicate the passing of the days.
For the next two weeks it will be this way – varying degrees of the
elements – wind, rain, tempreture, sea state, greyness but every day will be
much the same as the last – as we inch our way across the computer screen,
and inflatable globe towards Cape Horn. So it’s up to us to make things
different. Today we crossed from the eastern hemisphere to the western one,
it was dark, and people were asleep so no major celebration onboard. Once
day broke, and to celebrate being in the same half of the world as his Mum
and Girlfriend, Hooch decided it was the right time to open a gift package
from them. He’s going to write a separate update letting you know what
great things he has been given, but to say he was happy would be an
understatement. He couldn’t stop smiling for the best part of a 3 hour
watch, and every 5 mins he’d turn to me and say ” and there was milkybar
buttons” or ” and there was haribo” what ever else was running though his
mind like the display of prizes at the end of the Generation Game. ( no, i
don’t know if there was a cuddly toy or not) – Great work Hoochie
Supporters Team

And so the local afternoon rolls on, and the GPS clock ticks throuh midnight
GMT and into Thursday – ( must be 4 weeks today since leaving) and time to
unpack another food bag (a real measure of our progress is the diminishing
pile of grey food bags), and celebrate with Alpen and runny honey – current
breakfast favourite, and a Lucozade Sport Body Fuel drinks mix to which we
have all but become addicted. There’s not a day goes by with any left over
from each day’s rations. All this time of course the boat is hurtling
along at speeds of over 20 kts, over and through the waves with an
occasional bang followed by water landing above the coachroof and into the
cockpit, soaking the on watch team..

We get great emails from the shore helping us realise we are on a different
day, with news update from our mates regarding the Volvo Ocean Race ( well
done Green Dragon for making it to China through such awful conditions), the
Louis Vuitton Pacific Cup Series in Auckland ( well done Team Origin,
especially grinder Fred, and the windspotting mole) and a load of other
sailing, sporting, cultrural, and news related stories that we get sent –
they really do make each day different for us., so Please continue to send
them, especially as on Maxsea there’s no land to track progress against for
a while!!

We’ll try to make each day different for you… especially with some
fantastic progress towards Cape Horn!

Weather Router’s advice: 

From: Commanders’ Weather
To: Musandam
Subject: weather forecast 2-5
Date: 05/02/2009 14:09:15

To: Charles Darbyshire and the crew of

From: Commanders Weather Corp

Event: sail around the world

Last Position: near 46s/170 43w at 12 30 utc Thu Feb 5, 2009

Prepared: 1400utc Thu Feb 5, 2009

SummaryÖCharles, we can see why models take you further south to 51s/150w,
but don’t see any sense to get that south to get a couple kts more wind
speed. Think you can get a little more S than our routing shows, but don’t
see getting down to 50-51S as a significant advantage. If you stay within
45-47S, you will have favorable wind thru Sun. On Mon, as you get E of the
Ice Gate, wind diminishes some from NW to W, and then can get down to 47-48S
for a time. But with stronger W to NW winds into Tue, you may need to get a
little north again.

1) For right now, the high is just NW of Chatham Island, while low pressure
resides to the SE near 55-57S/156-160E

2) In between systems, you are in a very favorable S-SW to SW flow

a) look for wind staying mainly in the 20s to low 30s for the next 12-18
hrs, and

b) will trend right into SW to W-SW and W, which you will have to get

3) The high passes by to the north of you along or near 40S during Fri into
Sat, which this will allow the breeze to shift into the W

4) The next front tracks to the E, and ahead of this front, you will get
into a stronger and more squally W-NW to NW wind.

a) with this breeze, you can gybe and trend more north, but

b) it looks best to stay south of 45S

5) Think you remain with a NW wind ahead of this front into Sun

a) wind could go a far right as 350 to possible 360 at times

6) as this front approaches from the W, wind diminishes and eventually
shifts into W-NW to W, most likely around Mon.

7) With the lighter W-NW wind, which may get down to <20 kts, you will have
to get more south.

a) some uncertainty in forecast and will depend on the front, if coming
thru or not, but

b) would expect a lighter period around Mon

8) Models still see a large storm system developing well south into southern
Ocean (S of 55S) during Tue into Wed of next week.

9) look for an increasing W to NW flow, which maybe quite rough with large

a) looks best to be near 45-47S during this time, but

b) we’ll know more as we get closer


1) As the breeze trends more right, think you will have to get more S, to
near 47S/162w by 12 utc Fri,

a) its OK to get a little more S of this position if need to,

2) and as wind shifts into W to NW, then can gybe and head more W-NW to NW

3) with the NW wind ahead of cold, it looks best to be heading E near 45-46S
to near 140w

4) once into the lighter W wind, and east of the Ice Gate, you can come S
for a time, but with stronger W to NW wind by Tue, you can then track to the

5) Estimated positions listed below

Wind directions are TRUE, wind speed in kts, and time is UTC

Thu, Feb 5 ñ

18: 200-230/ 22-30

WeatherÖVariable to mostly cloudy, risk for isolated passing squally shower

Seas building to 15 ft, wind wave chop with SW swell ñ higher to the S and

Fri, Feb 6 ñ can get a little more S

00: 220-240/ 20-30

06: 230-250/ 20-28

12: 240-270/ 24-32 nr 47s/162w

18: 260-280/ 25-35, gybing

WeatherÖvariable cloudy with a squally shower possible

Seas near 15 ft, wind wave chop with SW swell

Sat, Feb 7 ñ increasing W-NW to NW wind ahead of cold front

00: 280-300/ 24-32

06: 290-310/ 20-30

12: 310-340/ 25-40 nr 45 30s/153w

18: 310-340/ 25-40

WeatherÖVariable to mostly cloudy with increasing chance for
showers/squalls, which some may contain heavy rain w/gusts to 45 kts

Seas 10-15 ft, rough chop with SW swell

Sun, Feb 8 ñ NW wind ahead of cold front, but diminishing late as front

00: 300-330/25-40

06: 320-340/25-40

12: 320-350/25-35 nr 45 30n/144 30w

18: 330-290/35-20, front just to the W

WeatherÖcontinued lots of clouds with showers and squally conditions

Seas 10-15 ft, SW swell

Mon, Feb 9 – front shifts thru? And coming more S when E of the Ice gate

00: 280-310/16-24

12: 260-290/15-22 nr 47 30s/137w

WeatherÖVariable cloudiness, showers possible

Seas 10-15 ft, SW swell

Tue, Feb 10 ñ still big low forming S of 55w, which would give a rougher W
to NW flow ñ best wind conditions would be near 45-47S, and see no sense to
be further south

00: 300-330/25-40

12: 270-290/30-45 nr 46 30s/127w

WeatherÖincreasing chance for showers and squalls

Seas building to 15-20 ft

Outlook for Wed Feb 11

W to W-NW flow near 30-40 kts. possible big seas!!

Best regards, Chris Wasserback

Commanders Weather Corp.
Tel: 603-882-6789

A selection of pictures from today: