Lat: 41 20.45′ S
Long: 31 47.13′ E
Inst Speed: 17.8
Wind Dir: 62
Wind Speed: 22.8
Distance last 24hr: 215.63
Distance to finish: 4642.72
Tucked up against the spray
It’s hard to look forward sometimes
Theirry confined to the cabin now, with injury to right hand

Email from the boat to shore: 

From: OmanTri
To: update
Subject: Monday morning
Date: 02/03/2009 05:18:45

After yesterday’s light winds stayed with us for most of the day – we were
able to get some jobs done. The major one was rehositing the genoa – then
sending Loik up the mast to tie it off so that we can furl it. Whilst up
the mast Loik noticed some wear on the mast track, so we used the light
winds to drop the mainsail and change the slide rods in the head board car,
and with the mainsail down – also chance the lahing that ties the sail to
the car. We are taking no chances for the next few weeks. Things naturally
wear down on a long trip like ths, I am not sure how many ‘years’ sailing it
is compared to many boats that spend their lives in a marina, but a good
few, and when we get back many things wiill be replaced as a matter of
routine, somethings sent away for destruction testing so we can learn more
about how things degrade. This of course helps prevent breakages in the

Since we had our genoa back we used it for a couple of hours making some
progress in the back edge of the high presure, and as it moved away so the
wind increased, and moved towards the N and NE. We were soon on port tack
heading E upwind, with our solent jib, and one reef, then just after dusk
2nd reef, and during the darkness hours we changed from solent to staysail.
We are at times underpowered, but the wind is going up and down between18
and 28kts, and we are sailing as fast as we dare given the sea condition.
The sea water is HOT, it’s 21 degrees, which we think means we are in some
helping current, also as the boat speed is reading 14 kts and SOG by the GPS
is 3 kts faster!!!! But we are jumping off some big waves, and down below
you just wince at every impact, poor mobi she’s taking it well so far, but
this is not the time to push, to put the miles we have done so far at risk
by breakng something at this stage. I think that if you look at the (short)
history of sailing multihulls round the world – those that have been
successful have had at some point had to throttle back and limit the speed.
ENZA finished her RTW record slowing down by trailing warps out the back.
The skippers all show great seamanship, and Loik on this trip is doing the
same. We are grateful that we don’t need to be fast, in the next 3 days a
cold front will approach us from behind, and when it arrives we’ll be able
to head firstly NE then N, and we should have a good 3-4 days sailing after
that with well developed SE tradewinds to propel us northwards. We are not
too sure what this means for our advance on the 80 day pace boat, we could
loose a day or two between here and the equator , or we could gain a day if
we are fast enough in the trade winds, so by the equator we could be between
9 and 12 days ahead of 80day pace. Any damage though where we spend time
slowed will change this dramatically, as the pace boat just keeps on going –
totally relentless.

The headwinds have been good for the envioronment though – the wind
generator has been doing a good job and we’ll manage with just one 40 min
charge from the diesel genearator in the last 24 hours, rather than the more
usual 4 x 40 min recharges. I think we chould push it so we wouldn’t have
charged at all in last 24hours ( by waiting until 10am) but we willl need to
run the water maker, and that uses a lot of power so that’s best done with
the generator running. So far we have used less than 100 litres of diesel,
much less than if we had decided to use the wind generator only as a back
up, and leave it packed up until a time of need. It was def. worth fitting

Mohsin is dong a phone in to the Sultan School in Muscat today, a chance for
the students to ask him directly what life is like out here – they are
likely to get some pretty good sound effects to illustrate his words as we
continue to crash upwind.

Weather Router’s advice: 

From: Commanders’ Weather
To: Charles Darbyshire , Musandam ,updateoman
Subject: Weather 3/2/09
Date: 02/03/2009 13:51:10

To: Charles Darbyshire and the crew of

From: Commanders Weather Corp

Event: sail around the world

Last Position: 41 36s/34 08e at 1230utc Mon, Mar 2

Prepared: 1300utc Monday, March 2, 2009


1) Read your web site and like your plan

a) no need to push hard. Stay comfortable. The favorable wind shift will
come to us and then we will be able to head for home ñ all good!

2) High pressure near 41-42S/42-44E will move ENE

a) cold front is stalling W of 25E and will have to wait for the
2ndfront for it to surge E and ENE

3) Being a little further N will make the winds/seas stronger/rougher today
and tomorrow, but

less wind/sea N of 40S by late Wed/Thu

4) Winds will slowly back over the next 48 hrs and have your heading slowly
backing to the ENE

a) wind speeds will probably increase over the next 24 hrs, so if you
have sail deeper to stay comfy, that is okay ñ bottom-line, find your sweet
spot for comfort, since we do not need speed and location is not terribly
important right now. Any easting is all we need right now, which should be
easy to do.

5) Winds will become very light when the cold front approaches on Thu ñ
probably just sail best angle

to the NE, N, or E

6) Still looks like good trade winds develop Fri and will continue thru at
least 15-20S

7) Need to watch for a possible low pressure developing near 10-15S, close
to 80E

a) does not look to be a problem for you, but need to watch it carefully

Wind directions are TRUE, wind speed in kts, and time is UTC

Mon, Mar 2

18: 350-010/22-32

WeatherÖPartly cloudy to cloudy. NE-N seas increasing to 10-14 feet

Tue, Mar 3

00: 340-360/22-32, gust 36

06: 340-360/22-32, gust 36

12: 340-360/24-34, gust 38, near 41 30S/41 50E

18: 330-350/24-34, gust 38

WeatherÖPartly to mostly cloudy with a N-NW seas of 12-18 feet

Wed, Mar 4

00: 330-350/22-32, gust 36

06: 330-350/22-32, gust 36

12: 330-350/22-32, gust 38, near 40 05S/49 50E

18: 320-340/20-30, much stronger winds S of 40S versus N of 40S

WeatherÖPartly to mostly cloudy. N-NW swell of 12-18 feet.

Thu, Mar 5

00: 310-330/16-22

06: 340-300/16-8

12: light/variable, cold front close by, near 37 20S/56 40E

18: 140-100/ 7-11, hey, we are heading for home!

WeatherÖPartly to mostly cloudy with a few squally showers possible. Seas
NW-N diminishing to 4-8 feet with an increasing SW swell.

Fri, Mar 6

00: 100-120/10-16

06: 110-090/15-20

12: 100-080/15-20, near 32S/58 55E

18: 090-110/17-23

Changeable skies with a brief squally shower or 3. Seas becoming SE and E up
to 5-8 feet

Sat, Mar 7

00: 090-110/20-25

12: 090-110/20-26, near 25 30S/58 50E

Partly cloudy, maybe a squally shower or 2. Seas E and ESE up to 6-10 feet

Best regards, Ken Campbell

Commanders Weather Corp.
Tel: 603-882-6789

A selection of pictures from today: