Lat: 40 40.00′ S
Long: 45 05.68′ E
Inst Speed: 12.0
Wind Dir: 37
Wind Speed: 27.3
Distance last 24hr: 344.77
Distance to finish: 4169.27
Beautiful blue skies, but confused seas
Southern Indian Ocean
Email from the boat to shore:
Date: 04/03/2009 03:50:44
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 03:50:58 -0000
Subject: Wednesday morning
So this is ground hog day for sure.
we have so very similar conditions to yesterday that it could be yesterday
the wind is a little more left, but the sea is increased a little, the nett
effect is the same, we are bouncing along in an easterly diretion waitng
for a rather large change in wind direction – which will be during
Thursday….It’ll be all change thursday – change in wind direction, and
change of heading for us – the sun rise will be to our stbd side rather than
on our bows, and we’ll be aiming some where near the direction of Muscat!
The last few days have felt long. We had a respite yesterday afternoon
where for a while the wind and waves dropped a little, but by dusk the wind
was increased, and now dawn again the sea state is quite a bit rougher with
swell coming from the N giving us quite a bit of heel at certain points on
the wave. The skies for now are fairly clear, but there is some clound ahead
and the winds are likely to increase as forecast throughout today (
currently 26-30kts ) before the shift, so we expect it to get worse before
it gets better.
Life onboard has been more about living than anything else, getting sleep
when conditions allow, and generally keeping the show on the road. routine
checks around the boat – removing some water from the back compartment.
Every now and then the mainsheet traveller needs an ease, and then a sheet
in again, but that’s about all. Hooch got nailed by a big wave during the
night – he was without wet weather gear jacket, and just nipped out to ease
the traveller when a huge one rolled up the port bow, over the coachroof
and into the cockpit – drenched him. There was a series of expletives before
he appeared in the companionway, being quick he managed go get his wet top
layer off before it got anything else wet, and his good humour returned.
You have to be fairly tollorent of incidents like that – if you are not then
it drags everyone down. We are lucky that hooch is a permemently happy
chappy ( except if he doesn’t get worken up to his liking…. but even then
the darkness doesn’t last to long)
Waiting on standby in the hatch isn’t such a nice job, if you wait in your
full wet weather gear you end up damp, so the risk is wait, ready to put
jacket on, and hope that nothing is too urgent that you’ll be able to get
your top on before doing what’s needed. Of course if it’s super urgent you
just get on with it – in what ever you happen to be wearing – thermals,
midlayers etc. but it’s important to avoid getting wet – as once wet with
salt water nothing dries properly.
Most of us are doing well on the clothing front – we all still have good
reserves for the final part of the trip, should mean we arrive back in
muscat in reasonanly clean clothes ( all things are relaitive) and I hope to
have had a tropical shower shower, as i am sure we all smell a little bit
fruity by now. You know this because when you use the washing up liquid is
smells super fresh !
anyway another 24-36 hours of thsi then we’ll have some downwind fun.